Our goal as a Town is to provide all community members with the opportunity to grown physically and mentally through living a healthier more active life. The steps we are taking to achieve this goal is by offering programs that interest all members of all ages within the community. The Town is working hard to maintain all facilities that are used for recreational activities and we as a Town are constantly looking to grow our trails to offer more opportunity for community members to get active in the outdoors.
Stewiacke may be a smaller rural town but we have lots happening! Dennis Park Playground is undergoing a large transformation! We have almost completed the construction on the playground. This new facility is going to offer opportunities to families to come and explore the natural play elements in the park and to climb along the traditional structure. Some of the features will include 4 traditional swings, an infant swing, an expression swing and an elephant swing. There is a rope course, a totem climber, a log jam, log climber, birds nest and then our large play ship "Katie Belle". While you're in Dennis Park, get up and take a stroll around the walking track. One lap is .558km, that means if you do 2 you have already walked over 1km.
Looking to enjoy the fallen leaves and escape from the town streets? Why not enjoy one of our 2 trails: The John Crawford Trail & Stewiacke River County Trail? Each trail offers its own unique experience. The John Crawford Trail has a small 600 meter loop covered in gravel, making it user friendly, and it also has a loop that takes you into the natural state of the woods! The Stewiacke River Country Trail loops around our Ballfields and up behind the Mastodon. There are many great views of the river, and you can often see eagles flying by. A lot of people have yet to stop down by the Fish Shack in Stewiacke. The fisherman association has constructed a short trail that takes you to wonderful views of the river, and you can enjoy these views from a gazebo! What spot could be better to watch the tidal bore?
The Stewiacke Ball fields are used frequently over the warmer months. These fields are mowed and drug by the Town. Rentals for the fields are priced at $100 for a day for one field. This year we are looking at maintenance on the fields for an even better 2018 season.
Stewiacke soccer fields haven't been as busy over the past few years, so this year the summer staff did something about it! We offered soccer for youth ages 10 and under! This was a great way to get children outside to enjoy the weather, and learn some new skills. This will be back for summer 2018!.
As spoken about early, our Dennis Park Playground is being replaced with a new structure and many natural pieces. So, what did we do with the old structure? Well, we are having it refurbished and adding a few small pieces to the playground and putting it down at the ball fields! This will be a great addition to our rec facilities, especially great for children who are there watching their parents or sister/brother play ball or soccer!
Do you like to Skate?
During the winter months, the Town places an ice surface in Dennis Park for people to enjoy. This year we will be constructing a natural ice surface in the park! This will help with keeping the surface frozen and make it more durable so users can enjoy for longer periods of time! We will also be able to clean this surface with larger machines than a shovel!
Looking for programs to take part in? There are many recreational opportunities.
- We have Karate that takes place Tuesdays and Fridays at the Community Centre, children, youth and adults are welcome!
- Cadets take place Monday and Wednesdays at the Community Centre, teens only.
- Afterschool programs that take place through a partnership with WRC and the Town that take place Tuesdays and Fridays for students at WRC.
- There is a new program for teens happening in Stewiacke! Starting on Nov 3rd, there will be teen kickboxing for 6 weeks! Fridays from 3:45pm-4:30pm.
- Be Your Own Superhero a self-defense workshop taking place on December 2nd from 10am-12pm for females 9yr and up!
- Paint Club happens on Monday mornings at the Community Centre from 9am-12pm.
- Bootcamp classes open to all ages 16 and up! These take place Monday & Tuesday at WRC and Thursday at Community Centre. 6:30pm-7:30pm and $5 drop in. -
- Our Baptist Church in Stewiacke offers programs for youth and children as well such as Fusion.
- Tuesdays at the Legion, card parties happen for seniors!
- Senior Fitness Classes take place Monday & Wednesday at 1pm-2pm at the Community Centre.
Over the Holidays, the Town of Stewiacke offers special days in the community to celebrate with our neighbors. This year our Tree lighting will be on December 9th! We will be celebrating Christmas in Stewiacke all day long with many events taking place throughout the day. Keep your eyes peeled for a poster, coming soon!
Summer Programming & Sports