The Seniors Care Grant helps low-income seniors with the cost of household services (like snow removal, grocery delivery, lawn care and small home repairs). Grants are up to $500 for each household. You can apply until 31 May 2022.
Apply for the Seniors Care Grant to help with the cost of household services. Your household can receive up to $500 if you qualify for the Seniors Care Grant.
Your grant amount is based on the cost of your household services, up to a maximum of $500.
Eligible household services
Eligible household services include services that help you stay in your home including:
- cooking and meal preparation (excluding the cost of groceries)
- driveway maintenance (like paving and regrading)
- grocery delivery (excluding the cost of groceries)
- house cleaning
- laundry (excluding dry cleaning)
- lawn care and landscaping
- medication and prescription delivery (excluding the cost of medications and prescriptions)
- small home repairs (like windows, doors, roof, plumbing, electrical, decks, fencing, siding, painting and heating)
- snow removal
- transportation (like taxis, ride shares, shuttles and other methods of transportation that pick you up directly from your home to travel to essential services).
To qualify for the grant, you need to be 65 or older in 2021 and meet all of the following criteria:have a household net income of $37,500 or less
live independently in your home (you’re not living with a caregiver, other than a spouse or partner) own a home (your name is on the property title) or have a residential lease agreement with your name on it
have paid for household services between 1 January 2021 and 30 November 2022
You can only apply once per household. You need to apply by 31 May 2022.
How to apply
Apply online for the grant. Check the application for details on all required supporting documents. Submit your completed application and any supporting documents.If your application is approved, your reimbursement cheque is mailed to you.
How long does it take?
It should take 8 weeks to get your reimbursement cheque. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly. If more information is required to process your grant, we may contact you by email.
There is no cost to apply for the grant.
Before you start
- Make sure you have all adults on the application available to sign the form
- social insurance numbers and dates of birth of all adults in your home
- total amount spent on household services between 1 January 2021 and 30 November 2022
You may need to provide additional supporting documents including:
- 2020 Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment for you and any other adults in your home
- 2020 property tax bill or residential lease agreement with your name on it
- proof of a change in marital status
- receipts for household service expenses
- citizenship application
GST/HST payment information form
Apply online at Apply for help with household costs: Seniors Care Grant
When you apply online you need an email address. The Seniors Care Grant emails you if it needs more information to process your grant.